Wednesday 8 April 2009

Broadband bonanza

For those who haven't heard, Australia is about to enter the 21st century (apparently at the moment we are living in technological squalour).

In an attempt to bring broadband to the masses, K-Rudd has decided that the government will own 51% of a national broadband cable company (the rest to be owned by the private companies that help). It should deliver cable internet at ridiculously fast speeds to 90% of Australian households (and I'm guessing the 10% that don't get it will be the ones living in remote areas who could actually gain a lot from it).

While I'm all for embracing technology and making it accessible to everyone (especially in rural and remote areas) I'm a bit dubious about how successful this venture will be – if we use the suggested 'science communication' model of communicating at with a smart, older person who didn't go to university (thereby using MamaDunkley as a my example), the probable response from most people will go something like 'Whats wrong with what I have now? I only just changed my internet! And I can't afford an extra $25 a month. And my IT-gifted son isn't here to install it for me. And if it isn't wireless, then why would I bother?' (ok, that last muttering was mine).

Worst headline I've seen so far in relation to this story?

"Tas gets first 'byte' at new broadband." Arrgh.

No comments:

Post a Comment