Tuesday 5 May 2009

Achilles and his tendon

Been without internet for a while after injuring myself in the competitive maelstrom that is Thursday night Social Netball and sitting at home, unable to move. Turns out I'd ruptured my achille's tendon - to fix it, they cut a slit in the back of your calf, gather all the destroyed muscle fibres together and then reattach them back to where they should be. Sounds more painful than it actually was.

Thought I'd do a bit of research before my operation (knowledge being power and all that) and found the statistic that men are 20 times more likely to rupture their achille's than women. That means in a room of 100 people with ruptured achilles, on average only five of them would be female.

Not sure what that really means - I suspect a genetic weakness in my family, seeing how my brother ruptured his achilles playing cricket, my other brother has had continuous problems with shoulders and my cousin had a knee reconstruction in his early 20's... I was doomed from birth.

1 comment:

  1. To add to this research, not only are most ruptures male but they are also middle aged and unfit, which makes a lot of sense - and also people with flat feet.

    ReplyDelete